Brionne is a town in the valley of the river Risle in departement Eure, region Haute-Normandie. It had 4 306 inhabitants in 2006), and it has a lot of history. It exists supposedly since Galo-Roman times.
The Keep (french: donjon) was built in the 11th century. It is one of the rare squareshaped Norman Keeps, reminding thus of British architecture. It’s walls were 20m long. It was destroyed in the 18th century.
The cemetery church Saint-Denis was supposedly built in Galo-Roman times. It was used since 1790 for religious purposes. The cemetery that belonged to the church was used until 1860, it is not visible anymore. During WWII the church was destroyed by bombs (1944) and after it’s reconstruction it was used as a gymnasium until today. One of it’s corners is derelict and seems to be a sleeping place for homeless people and a smoking room for the young.
The church Saint-Martin stands in the middle of the town. It’s squareshaped tower shows romanesque and gothic influences. The ground floor was built in romanesque style and the first floor in gothic style. The entrance was built in the 18th century. The high altar was designed 1694 by Guillaume de la Tremblaye for the chapel de la Sainte-Vierge that belonged to the abbey of Bec-Hellouin. Th right wing of the church is decrepit, can be tread, but there’s a danger sign.
Brionne, a city in Normandy is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 UK: England & Wales License.
Based on a work at stanzebla.wordpress.com.