Markus found a Yorkshire Terrier on the Route départementale between Bernay and Broglie on Sunday the 27th of June 2010. On Monday we went to a vet in Bernay to check the dog for tattoos and electronic markings, but there was nothing. So we drove back to the spot to ask the people living in the area, if they know the dog. Nobody knew him. Then we went to Broglie to leave our telephone number at the vet and the town hall.
Dog and Markus. Own photo, licence: all rights reserved
Broglie had 1.113 inhabitants in 2007. It lies in the valley of the Charentonne river, around 10 kilometres south of Bernay. Until 1742 the town was called “Chambrais”. It was renamed to honour the noble family “de Broglie”. The “de Broglie” had bought the town in 1716. In the French Revolution (1789-1799) the former name was valid again and Broglie was called Chambrais. Since 1814 it was renamed again and kept the name Broglie until today.
Some quite famous people were born in Broglie, for example the painter and chemist Léonor Mérimée (1757-1836) and his nephew, the physicist Augustin Fresnel (1788-1827). Memorials of those two stand next to the church at the market place, on the wall of the house of the vet. Another memorial plaque hangs on the wall of the town hall. It is dedicated to Maurice de Broglie who might have been this physicist, but maybe that wasn’t him, there are loads of “de Broglies”. Anyways, this Maurice de Broglie was member of the “Institut de France” just like the physicist and he has been mayor of Broglie.
memorial plaque of Léonor Mérimée, own photo (in commons), licence: CC by, Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported
Bust of Augustin Fresnel, own photo (in commons), licence: public domain
Plaque of Maurice de Broglie on the town hall. own photo, Lizenz: public domain
The town hall, a half-timbered building. Own photo (in commons), licence: CC by/ Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported
The church Kirche Saint-Martin was built in the second half of the 11th century. The southern part was reconstructed in the 15th century. The church was classified as “Monument historique” (historical monument) in 1862.
The church Saint-Martin, own photo, licence: CC by/ Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported
Gargoyles on the somehow southern part of the church, own photo (in commons) licence: CC by/ Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported
A half timbered wall on the height of the back of the front façade. Own photo, licence: public domain
In the church are many art treasures. Some of them are documented in the Base Palissy and classified as Monument historique.
Upper part of a baton of procession of the Confrérie de Charité (brotherhood of charity). Own photo, licence:public domain
The Confréries de Charité are a custom of Normandy. They existed in every village, now they still exist in many villages, especially in the Eure departement. Every brotherhood has its own patron saint. Several times a year they attend religious processions (crucessions), during which they wear certain sashes and carry pennants and batons that show images of their patron saint.
Side altar, own photo, licence:public domain
Paving tiles in the church, own photo, licence: public domain/gemeinfrei
Painting by Georges de la Tour (17th century). It shows Saint Sebastian, rescued by Holy Women. It is classified as a Monument historique since 1945. Own photo. Licence: Public domain
Choir stalls, own photo, licence: public domain
Saint Rock of Montpellier was fed by a mysterious dog, when he lied in a forest infected with black death.
Saint Rock and his dog in front of a stained-glass window, own photo, licence: CC by/ Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported
Statue of the holy Margaret of Antioch (16th century), Monument historique. Own photo (in commons) licence: public domain
Saint George and the dragon, own photo, licence: public domain
Statue of the bishop and saint Martin of Tours (17th century). Own photo, licence: public domain
Statue of Mary and Child Jesus (17th century). Own photo: licence: public domain
Statue of Mary, mother of Jesus (15th century). Own photo, licence: public domain
Last resting-place of François Amédée de Broglie (1720-1757), who died in the battle of Roßbach. His mortal remains were returned from Saxony to Broglie in 1966. Own photo, licence: public domain
The church windows were fabricated in the 16th and 17th century and restored in 1896. They are classified as Monument historique klassifiziert.
The Entombment of Christ, stained-glass window in the church Saint-Martin. Own photo (in commons), licence:publid domain
The resurrection, own photo (in commons), licence: public domain
Priests stand around an altar, window 5 and PM27000422 in the Base Palissy. Own photo, licence: CC by/ Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported
Adoration of the Magi, this window was fabricated in the 19th century. own photo, licence: public domain
Octagonal stoup (16th century), own photo, licence: CC by/ Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported
Baptismal font (15th century), own photo, licence: CC by/ Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported
South of the church stands a half-timbered house with carved faces on the frames and typical tesselated Norman façade. It’s called Léproserie because it contained the leprosarium in medieval times.
Léproserie, own photo, licence: CC by/ Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported
Detail of the façade of the Léproserie, own photo, licence:public domain
Detail of the façade, tasselated small stone plates and dark chert in between. eigenes Foto, Lizenz:public domain/gemeinfrei