La Chapelle Gauthier is a village in the département Eure in Upper Normandy in France. It had 347 inhabitants in 2007. It belongs to the canton Broglie and its municipalities association. The village was the origin of a rebellious group of peasants called “Jacquerie des gautiers”. At first they defended villages against pillaging soldiers during the French Wars of Religion (1562–98). Then they united men of a lots of villages and were in the end an army of around 16000 people. The Catholic League took over the leadership and most of the “Gautiers” were killed in 1589.
The nave of the church Notre-Dame seems to have been rebuilt with bricks. The choir seems to be older, it’s façade consists of flint and mortar. The portal looks original. Around the church lies its cemetery with two huge yew trees. That place is classified as “site classé” (nature monument).
Like a lot of villages in Normandy, La Chapelle-Gauthier had a train station. The railway line had been opened at the end of the 19th century and was closed some time after the Second World War. On the other side of the road stood the “café de la gare”, the café of the train station. Both houses are dwelling places today. Friends of mine live in the former café.
Dictionnaire historique de toutes les communes du département de l’Eure by Charpillon, Anatole Caresme 1868, pages: 724-730 (French)